not being able to use Skype is a big problem

Alexey Feldgendler alexey at feldgendler.ru
Thu Jul 3 13:29:49 CEST 2008

On Thu, 03 Jul 2008 13:17:01 +0200, arne anka <openmoko at ginguppin.de>
wrote:

>> who still wonders why any freedom-loving person  would ever
>>         want to use skype

> because it's obviously easy to setup and use

That's not the real reason for me, though. I don't mind setting up a
proper SIP phone and piercing holes in the firewall; I'd rather prefer to
do it in a way I control than have Skype obfuscate its way through
whatever ports it manages to use.

Whether Skype's GUI is easy and convenient to use is also a matter of
taste. One of the worst in my personal opinion. But with Skype, you get no
choice.

> and thus a huge bunch of people use it.

This is the real problem, though. In reply to “please call me on Skype”, I
really can't tell everyone to do the above instead.

> plus: they got really good pr! ask average joe what kind of "phone over
> the internet" he knows -- most people will answer "skype".

Their prices are NOT the best on the VoIP market, at least for calling to
countries they don't consider a priority, such as Russia. Calling to
Russia is several times as cheap on the free market.