not being able to use Skype is a big problem

Mikko Rauhala mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi
Thu Jul 3 19:58:43 CEST 2008

to, 2008-07-03 kello 12:45 -0500, Forrest Sheng Bao kirjoitti:
> PS: If you wanna call a traditional telephone from a VoIP client,
> there must be a company providing the service to bridging Internet and
> telephony network, right?

Yes.

> Do you have such open source solutions?

A service is not "open source" per se, though there are certainly many
VOIP to POTS bridging providers who use standard protocols. I use
diamondcard (for the very little I have need for such a thing), mostly
because Ekiga offered it by default (though I've since changed to
Twinklephone - the wonders of standard protocols!)

You can presumably use Asterisk to set up such a service, if that's what
you're asking - it's rather unclear.

> I think the company need to pay money to telephony service operator.
> Who will pay it?

Umm, the users?

You seem to be rather confused about open source, open protocols and
services that can be accessed using the above, to be frank. These are
three different things, though go well together.

--
Mikko Rauhala   - mjr at iki.fi     - <URL:http://www.iki.fi/mjr/>
Transhumanist   - WTA member     - <URL:http://www.transhumanism.org/>