More HW from OpenMoko

Jay Vaughan jayv at synth.net
Thu Jul 3 21:56:52 CEST 2008

> Get a USB midisport or similar device and hook it up the freerunner's
> usb host port. Add Jack and some synths and you're good to go :-).

yup. emagic mt4 works great, btw, but i hate my dodgy cable.  would
love it if there were a more factory-made USB/Host+Slave cable that
just plain worked.

but yeah, i'm finding the neo1973 a very nice little screen to sit on
the MIDI bus and tell me whats going on.  the 19" rack full of synths
suddely has a little window.  ;)

seq24 + neo1973 + MIDI + multitimbral synth==great fun!

> The question now is how many synths use fixed point math and what
> their load is like. I recall many years ago doing some stuff on my
> 166Mhz pentium so it might work. Now if only Jack used fixed point
> math instead of representing samples as 32-bit floats (granted there
> are quality issues with switching to a fixed point representation when
> mixing a lot of audio sources, but a slight degradation would be
> acceptable and probably not noticable for performance work).

floats on ARM are pitiful, its true, but i think next-gen ARM may well
address that issue nicely, so lets hope we keep seeing more ARM-army
ARM farms out there on the end of peoples arms ..

;
--
Jay Vaughan