GSM Carrier

Asheesh Laroia openmoko at asheesh.org
Fri Jul 4 00:40:40 CEST 2008

On Thu, 3 Jul 2008, ian douglas wrote:

> Brad Pitcher wrote:
>> That is exactly right.  I thought I read about some work around for the
>> port restriction, but I didn't dare to try it so I stuck with the
>> add-on.
>

> Well, in theory, if you're writing your own app and have a spare IP
> address, you could write the app to answer on port 12345 and configure
> that IP address via iptables to listen on port 80 but forward internally
> to your app on port 12345. Pretty simple redirection.

What I have done in the past is use 'ssh -D' to create a local SOCKS
proxy to tunnel to another machine running SSHD on port 993.

There are weird latency effects involved in laying all your connections
over a single TCP connection; better would be see if one can abuse TCP
packets to a remote port 993 and treat it as UDP, and then do OpenVPN.
(Or just see if you can do UDP on that network.)

-- Asheesh.

--
It's always sad when the fleas leave, because that means your dog is dead.
 		-- Wesley T. Williams