GPS

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Sun Jul 6 18:12:47 CEST 2008

From what I've seen on the wiki the version of the Antares4 on the GTA02
doesn't have the memory needed to store almanac and ephemeris, last known
position or time. This means that every start is a true cold start, unlike
every other reasonably modern GPS we're comparing it to. It starts up
thinking the time is midnight on 30th November 1999 and seems to need a fair
bit of decent signal to convince it otherwise, contributing to the long
startup time.

It looks like there is a way around this if you look at the documentation for
the assist. The AID-INI message needn't be supplied by a remote server; we
can generate it locally to provide the sort of data that's stored internally
most of the time. At the very least we have a fair idea of the current time
and date. We should also be able to store location, almanac and ephemeris
when we shut down the GPS, and provide it at the next startup. We can also
have a stab at current location, based perhaps on cell ID or wifi data as
discussed by some of the other threads, or on user input.

I'll try to patch together something to do this based on the example perl
client and server code, and see how much difference it makes.