ancient hardware? - Software matters

Tilman Baumann tilman at baumann.name
Mon Jul 7 12:57:03 CEST 2008

I never had a phone for the last decade.
Mostly out of protest against the ridiculous data rates and prices on
GSM. And because all phones sucked.
I had sworn me, when UMTS would comes out and the prices are ok, i will
buy a phone.
UMTS came, the prices where ok but the phones still sucked. And i did
not feel i would miss much.

And most important of all, i completely lost hope for all mobile phone
software. There where no iterative improvements. Features came ant went
with no regular pattern. Phones did not get better with time, they just
stagnated. They did not even managed to put all features in which they
had in earlier models.
And bad software did never get fixed. The only way to overcome bad
software was to by a new phone.
It never felt right for me to give them money for theyr bad service.

And all of them completely missed the point about having internet on a
mobile device. The franticly searched for the killer app for UMTS but
could not find any. But the killer app for phones was clearly IP (open
communication) and a open software stack.

Opensource was clearly the answer for all that.

Then things happended. Openmoko and the iPhone came. The iPhone started
a big fire under the fat and lazy ass of phone manufacturers. They are
reminded that innovation is something that sells phones and makes
customers happy. But i'm sure those who will not burn to death will not
manage to stand up for the next time.
Changes will happen slow. Its after all the mobile phones business. :)

And there was Openmoko. There was never any doubt for me that this will
be the right answer to a good and healthy software evolution and
constant improvement for mobile phone software.

So i'm here. I broke my oath to never buy a GSM only phone (Neo 1973). I
was not able to make stable phone calls for month with my rather 1990ish
new phone.
But i was happy and i still am.

Sure. The hardware could be better. But this is something the industry
managed to do all the time.

We need to make software a important part of phone development.
This is where the industry (and subsequently the customer) needs help.
This is where a bunch of hackers can make a big difference.

I'm sure Openmoko started something important.
The vastly successful way of software evolution and development which
opensource provides will greatly improve all phones to come...

I'm happy that Fic gives us this stepping stone to change the world. I
gladly ignore some bad teeth of this horse. ;)