freerunner unable to work with 3G SIMCards?

Konstantin Chaosspawn23 at gmx.net
Mon Jul 7 13:57:37 CEST 2008

Joachim Steiger wrote:
> Chaosspawn23 wrote:
>> [unlurk]
>> Having the same problem with my O2 SIMCard, I too would like to offer my help in
>> tracking down the problem. Just tell me if I can do something to help.
>> [/unlurk]
>
> hey there
>
> so: if your O2 3g sim does not want your (supposedly correct) pin, check
>  if the pin is really needed with a second phone, and if not, set it to
> 0000 or so.
> if this works for more people than just me, we might just have found a
> workaround.

Hmm, unfortunately didn't work for me :(
Disabling the pin entry altogether on a 2nd phone resulted in the GTA02
(@2007.02-rootfs) not asking for a pin but not registering either - so I
suspect it doesn't really have anything to do with the pin but is more
of an overall communications problem.
Setting the pin to 0000 on the 2nd phone didn't work, either - the pin
entry dialog appeared on the OM, but didn't accept the pin and even
thought the sim was locked after the 3rd failed attempt (which was not
the case when testing the sim in the 2nd phone after that).
Any more ideas?

> ps: i have photos of the 'tricky' O2 sim, so if youre unsure or find
> yours does the same, we should be able to identify the manufacturer by a
> nice high-res shot of the 'chip' (the layout of the pads is somehow
> 'characteristic')

If it helps in any way, I could provide the serial number or a photo of
my SIMCard, too...

Regards,
Konstantin