Software Status Update

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Tue Jul 8 13:03:33 CEST 2008

On Sun, 06 Jul 2008 19:38:21 +0200 Audrius Meskauskas <audriusa at bluewin.ch>
babbled:

> GTK is under LGPL and Qtopia is under GPL. This may mean nothing for the
> individual developer, but under GTK we may expect more "commercial",
> proprietary applications appearing. One can buy "commercial" license for
> Qtopia as well but this costs money.

IMHO LGPL give more freedom to the app developer. they get to choose their
license. for example i favor BSD/MIT-X11 style licenses, not GPL. i believe
GPL's "idea" of free is not the same as mine. mine aligns more with BSD/MIT-X11.

open and free does NOT only mean GPL. this is something many people overlook
and forget.