which list to write to (was Re: x offset in landscape mode)

Stroller linux.luser at myrealbox.com
Thu Jul 10 17:03:33 CEST 2008

On 10 Jul 2008, at 09:21, Benedikt Schindler wrote:

> I also didn't know about these other list.
> and i'm not subscribed to it. but i think if all questions that
> belongs
> to a real problem with the
> device are placed to that list, there wouldn't be a reason to
> listen to
> this list here.

Well, that's up to you.

> and you could rename this list from "community" to "fancy litle
> discussions of features that maybe will never exist" (a little bit
> long
> so :) )

To be completely honest, I rather feel the same way about many of the
discussions here.
Not that that has prevented me from participating in them, of
course.  ;)

I would like to see device-owners get far more use for genuine
problems (& help fixing them) so that it's not cluttered with such
"silly" discussions.

Such "silly" discussions as "I have a great idea!" (that you've all
heard 1000 times already), "lets all bitch about the glamo / GTK
toolkit / Freerunner production" and "this software is licensed under
terms which aren't `free enough`" are inevitable, and I would just
prefer to see them in the "right" place.

I will have a Freerunner of my own in a week or two, and I would like
to be able to concentrate on a device-owners list filled with hands-
on discussion (rather than the existing conjecture).

> if i had a problem and look over the mailing lists i definitly
> would ask
> the community for help.

I would prefer to ask device-owners, rather than people who are
subscribed merely because they may plan to buy a Freerunner v4 in the
future.

> Q: what would be a community mailing list that doesn't talk about
> there
> existing freerunners?
> A: a list where i have to unsubscribe, because it's just flooding
> my inbox.

I think there's a place for many of us to subscribe to both. Those
who are owners may discuss also on community depending upon how much
time we have this week. Community doesn't mean "I don't have a
device" but perhaps "you don't need a device to discuss this".

If you have a current Freerunner you can say that that, and you can
compare existing features, when replying to Openmoko's request for
wish-list discussion. But you don't need one.

If we have only a single list then such discussion will drown out the
rapid response of "have you tried the 2008-11-04 kernel?", "yes, I
get this in dmesg" and so on.

Stroller.