which list to write to (was Re: x offset in landscape mode)

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Fri Jul 11 03:44:41 CEST 2008

On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 15:41 +0100, Stroller wrote:

> > Or to merge them?
>
> Yikes! Please no!

Keep in mind that:
The more lists you have, the more fragmented the data is and the harder
it is to both find relevant data (generally you have to be a member of
the list), and get participants to threads.  The less likely mail goes
to the correct list, the less likely those who "need" to see it (vs
those who just want it) are likely to see it.

For this reason, all my OM emails go to one folder, which defeats the
reason for having so many lists - so all I have is the annoyance of
managing the procmail filters and suddenly discovering that emails I am
interested in have been going to a list I wasnt aware of.

A dev and a user list are all thats needed for the open, public lists,
with perhaps dev being readonly for users - the others are just making
life harder.

BillK