which list to write to (was Re: x offset in landscape mode)

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Fri Jul 11 17:01:29 CEST 2008

On 11 Jul 2008, at 02:44, W.Kenworthy wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-07-10 at 15:41 +0100, Stroller wrote:
>>
>>> Or to merge them?
>>
>> Yikes! Please no!
>>

> Keep in mind that:
> The more lists you have, the more fragmented the data is and the
> harder
> it is to both find relevant data (generally you have to be a member of
> the list), and get participants to threads.  The less likely mail goes
> to the correct list, the less likely those who "need" to see it (vs
> those who just want it) are likely to see it.

In making these remarks you don't address any of my comments
regarding the clutter of unwanted topics.

> For this reason, all my OM emails go to one folder, which defeats the
> reason for having so many lists

That is YOUR choice. It doesn't defeat the object for anyone else who
chooses to filter their lists differently.

> - so all I have is the annoyance of
> managing the procmail filters ...

I don't use procmail, but with maildrop it is trivial to regex
anything Openmoko-related into a single folder.

I have recently started separateing the -device-owners & -community
lists, but last week I was using:

   if ( /^X-Beenthere: .*openmoko.org/ )
   {
       log "-------------------------------------------------------
OpenMoko List "
       to "${MAILBOX}/.Geek.Linux.Lists.OpenMoko"
   }

> and suddenly discovering that emails I am
> interested in have been going to a list I wasnt aware of.

It's not that hard to make yourself aware of the other lists.

I don't wish to be aggressive with you - I'm just making a point -
but is it my fault if you're too lazy to check out the other lists
available?

Users should become aware of the other lists pretty quickly when it
is pointed out to them, "hey, this is more suitable for -device-
owners, please post there".

Stroller.