GPS

Jim Morris ml at e4net.com
Sat Jul 12 22:59:36 CEST 2008

Jonathan Spooner wrote:
> I've been playing with my GPS and finally got a fix using agps diag
> tool. I stood the gta02 up on my garden table using a pop bottle :-)  I
> think bottom line the gta02 has a poor antenna.... in fact the first
> time I got a fix I did so at the point I rested my free stylus on top of
> the gta02!
>
> Once I had a fix I used the signal strength screen in the agps diag tool
> and its then plain to see the signal is precarious at best with an
> average strength of around 28 which is greatly affected by orientation
> and nearby objects from hands, stylus, people etc pretty much what you'd
> expect in a device thats receiving a very weak signal.... except we know
> the say system is working so that only leaves the gta02 internal antenna
> as the problem.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Jon

I found exactly the same thing, the unit has to be stationary for a while, you need to swizzle it
around its vertical axis until you get the maximum signal strength, and then leave it for 10 mins to
get a fix. It must not be touched or moved during that time.

It is pretty impractical for a mobile device though to do that.

Lets hope some of the techniques to preload data will help this.

--
Jim Morris, http://blog.wolfman.com