clarification: images vs upgrade

Clare claregj at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 05:24:47 CEST 2008

Hi Arne,
The analogy with Debian would be -
When you first install, kernel files named vmlinuz are put in /boot
and are grabbed by grub
(installed for you usually) to load the kernel..

here the file named uImage is a kernel and is put in section 3 (called
kernel) of the NAND.
and is loaded by the u-boot file which is in section 1 of the NAND.
(one you don't change except
with extreme care.)

The file name rootfs is the whole of the rest of the operating system
(including basic packages)
 and is put in section 5 (rootfs)

Later when you want to add things and use apt-get that is analogous to
the opkg update and
opkg upgrade, where you load in new packages.

hope this helps
clare