AW: RE: unable to start up freerunner after batterie was full down

Joerg Reisenweber joerg at openmoko.org
Mon Jul 14 02:54:58 CEST 2008

No use in connecting a FR to any source to charge bat, as long as it doesn't
boot up. Actually it drains battery even further, instead of charging.
Battery is only charged when booting succeeds.
Jumpstart the battery is very unlikely to help you out.

Get FR booted by any means
1.:Remove sim-card!
2.:Use wallcharger to startup.
3:borrow battery, apply 4.5V (<5V!!!) to + and minus of battery connector in
FR.
After 5~10sec FR should come up and you don't need startup-battery or
4.5V-power-source any more - remove it! FR should run happily from
wallcharger.
Now *don't* power down, and insert dead battery. battery is going to charge
now.

Alternative way: find a charger for nokia-bat, or even use an old nokia to
charge dead battery. e.g. 6230i. If you find a friend who could lend a
battery to you, maybe he might prefer to take your bat and charge it for a
short while.

sorry for the inconvenience.
Usually we shouldn't see "dead" batteries. We expect to fix the deep-discharge
of bat at software side.
The problems with no startup on dead bat are partially a hw-issue. Though
Werner has a new u-boot that might help (coming soon), especially when you
got a device that flashes red aux-led (good sign!).

cheers
jOERG