GPS issue

Pawel Kowalak viru at bzimage.us
Mon Jul 14 13:12:15 CEST 2008

On Jul 13, 2008, at 11:32 AM, jonathan spooner wrote:
> Also there is a fair bit of drift on my position.  Using the plot
> feature in agps it looks like I'm walking all over my garden while the
> gta02 is sat on the table at times.

As far as I know, that drift is quite normal. If you leave GPS
receiver in one place, there always will be some drift. It depends on
chipset used in GPS. For example SiRF III has greater drift than
older, less sensitive chipsets.

More important is precision while moving and the same SiRF III based
receivers are much better than older receivers. That drift doesn't
occur when moving. Also more important is keeping signal, and again,
SiRF III rarely loose signal, even in bad conditions.

I don't know what chipset is used in FR, but I wouldn't worry about
drifting ;)