MokSec - The Security Framework

Kalle Happonen kalle.happonen at iki.fi
Mon Jul 14 16:50:13 CEST 2008

Tilman Baumann wrote:
> Paul Jimenez wrote:
>
>> Alex Oberhauser wrote:

>>> This will be also a main focus. When we receive the Freerunners, we will see
>>> how fast we can change this bad state.
>>>

>> Personally, I'd be more interested in an encrypted filesystem so that I
>> can worry less about snoopy people getting access to my personal data if
>> I lose my phone or it's stolen.  How many 'main focuses' are you allowed
>> ? :)
>>

> Can we use the SIM-Card to decrypt stuff?
> It's after all a smart card. :)
>
> Would be cool if we could store a crypto key on the SIM, which it will
> only release if you provide the right SIM.

I don't think that's doable with normal SIMs. But there are places where
you can get SIM cards with built in encyption/decryption keys, and a
certificate (PKI). This is possible at least in Finland, but not widely
used.  If you had the PKI enabled SIM, I'd say it wouldn't only be cool,
it would be THE way to go, as far as security and ease of use goes. :)