Keyboard missing forward-slash key (was: New Freerunner, factory image - "Registering...")

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Mon Jul 14 22:30:19 CEST 2008

On 14 Jul 2008, at 20:20, ian douglas wrote:

> Ken Restivo wrote:
>>> It is very nice that a terminal app is included on the default
>>> image,
>>> but I cannot work out how to enter a forward-slash ("/"), so cannot
>>> list /var/log and see if there's anything interesting in there.
>>> Would
>>> I be best advised to set up USB networking and log in via SSH to see
>>
>> I ran into that immediately. The terminal is unusable without a
>> slash key. That tells me that nobody is actually using that
>> terminal app to do anything, but rather that it's only been used
>> tethered by USB.
>
> There have been several messages on the list about how to manually
> correct this, but I agree, it should be changed for the default build.
>
> edit /etc/multitap-pad/im-multipress.conf
>
> I added / and | to my '1' key.

No network on this Freerunner at the moment, so I can't paste the
file verbatim, but looking at /etc/multitap-pad/im-multipress.conf it
appears that both back- and forward-slashes are mapped to KP_0 on the
default factory image.

This clearly relates to the 0 key, as + is also mapped to this key
and indeed pressing the 0 key in character mode does indeed produce a
+ sign. However multiple taps to the 0 key do not produce the other
characters I'd expect.

Is this a known bug?
Are you using a later firmware image?

I'll update when I have network on my Freerunner, but at present it
seems that I have some hours to play around with it before I can
connect.

Stroller.