Different ways to boot an image?

Thomas B. tommy.b at gmx.net
Tue Jul 15 20:45:02 CEST 2008

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 10:33:22AM -0400, John Reese wrote:
> Thomas B. wrote:
> > I have also summarized my own experiences with booting Qtopia from a SD
> > card here:
> >
> > http://lists.openmoko.org/pipermail/community/2008-July/021524.html
>
> How do you set up / use the u-boot console over usb?  Is there a wiki
> page on how to do that?  I'd really love to get my FR dual-booting, but
> the ext2/ext3 issue is what's stopping me...

Yep, there's a wiki page:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Bootloader#Bootloader_prompt

Bootloader commands are described here:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Bootloader_commands

The command I used to change the command sequence for booting from SD
card from NAND flash is (note that semicolons, dollar signs and curly
braces have to be escaped so that they are not interpreted right away...
actually I'm not sure about the curly braces, but it worked for me):

setenv menu_1 Boot from microSD (FAT+ext3): setenv bootargs \$\{bootargs_base\} rootfstype=ext3 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootdelay=5 \$\{mtdparts\} ro\; mmcinit\; fatload mmc 1 0x32000000 \$\{sd_image_name\}\; bootm 0x32000000

Then do a "printenv" to check whether everything is right, and if it is,
do "saveenv".

HTH,
Thomas