Reason for GPS problems found!

Mikko Rauhala mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi
Wed Jul 16 00:07:44 CEST 2008

ti, 2008-07-15 kello 23:29 +0200, Joerg Reisenweber kirjoitti:
> The good news: *IF* all pans out, there's (or soon will be) a new kernel at
> Andy branch that stops SD-card clock when SDcard is idle. We hope this will
> almost cure the problem, at least reduce it to sth like "you can't GPS while
> watching video from SD" or the like (hope you can cope with that ;).

It does sound plausible that it'd be "okay" with sufficient SD buffering
at least. Interesting to see how it pans out.

To give a more visible voice to some ponderings that have been on the
IRC channel, I'll toss this followup question out here: Can the SD bus,
when active, additionally be (stably) underclocked (when GPS is in use
or maybe just when getting a fix) and, of course, would this have any
effect?

> We're about to verify a hw-fix so you could even watch video and still
> have GPS positioning during that.

Excellent. One would hope official retailers *cough*pulster*cough* would
be able to perform such an operation, once verified; perhaps allow for
fixes being done by local hw-capable people (sadly not me) without
voiding warranty...

> And *please* don't try weird reworks and maybe break your FR by doing so

Yeaah sorry about that tinfoil quip ;]

And cheers for keeping us in the loop with this issue.

--
Mikko Rauhala   - mjr at iki.fi     - <URL:http://www.iki.fi/mjr/>
Transhumanist   - WTA member     - <URL:http://www.transhumanism.org/>