Reason for GPS problems found!

Andrew Bennett drewbenn at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 09:37:15 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 12:01 AM, Wolfgang Spraul <wolfgang at openmoko.com>
wrote:

> On the GPS bug, expect an update before the end of the week.

Unfortunately, this seems like a case where OpenMoko's "openness" is really
hurting it.  A closed company probably would have waited to publicly
acknowledge the defect until it was fully researched, not just after it was
casually confirmed by a couple developers.  Perhaps, the closed company
would have even waited to acknowledge the defect until a fix was available,
instead of sending out status updates as they investigated it and tried
potential fixes.

>From reading between the lines on some of the e-mails from OpenMoko staff,
it seems that the interference with the GPS receiver was caused (at least in
part) by the SD reader being always-on, apparently because the SD firmware
is still incomplete or in beta, much like the rest of the OpenMoko
firmware.  The fix appears to be to enhance the SD reader to only turn on
when necessary.  From where I sit, that's a two-fer!  GPS gets fixed and the
SD reader gets enhanced to a more complete state.  I'm happy :)

Andrew

---
Andrew Bennett
drewbenn at gmail.com