Including users in development (was: Reason for GPS problems found!)

Msquared announce.lists.openmoko at msquared.id.au
Wed Jul 16 10:10:49 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 12:37:15AM -0700, Andrew Bennett wrote:

> > On the GPS bug, expect an update before the end of the week.
>
> Unfortunately, this seems like a case where OpenMoko's "openness" is
> really hurting it.

I disagree.  I think it's great that we can see what goes on under the
hood, and not just see, but contribute.

As far as I am concerned, that will produce a stronger company than any
closed process ever could.

The 'closed company' philosophy tends to devolve into an 'us vs them'
fight, where 'them' is not only the competition, but also the users
themselves.

When a company allows its products' users to become part of the very
ecosystem that develops those products, it not only suddenly has access to
more eyeballs to help out with problems such as this one, but builds a
stronger sense of community and inclusion than a closed company could ever
hope for.

Regards, Msquared...

PS: Do some reading on sociocratic methods, if you're interested in
awesome ways to build community...

  http://www.sociocracy.info/
  http://www.sociocratie.nl/