Web server on the phone?

Alexey Feldgendler alexey at feldgendler.ru
Wed Jul 16 12:22:20 CEST 2008

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 12:15:35 +0200, arne anka <openmoko at ginguppin.de>
wrote:

>> mobile. However, using a good web browser engine as a UI platform
>> alternative to native toolkits has been successfully done before.

> well, still strikes me as ... to be moderate ... odd, not at least in
> respect to the plethora of available gui toolkits or languages (qt, gtk,
> e-something, pyqt, pygtk, java w/ swt, curses, probably something ghastly
> for perl too, you name it).

The advantage of using a browser engine is much better portability of the
UI code. You can make it run on any platform that has a browser, and you
can port it to turn into an actual server-side web application.

Also, many developers feel that web technologies provide for easier and
faster UI development than at least some of native toolkits.