Updates

arne anka openmoko at ginguppin.de
Wed Jul 16 15:02:43 CEST 2008

asking the same questions i came up with these answers:

> Should I think of u-boot as the OpenMoko version of Grub?

kinda. and some kind of bios, maybe.

> In which
> case why can't opkg update this?

because (that's what i figured out) it's binary data and written directly.
the area might not even be accessible from within the running fr.

> opkg can also update the kernel and the root filesystem, right?
> Advantages/disadvantages with the two approaches?

flashing should be faster (never tried, though) and easier. and it works
w/o working network on the fr.

> Does flashing the root filesystem wipe out /home?

yepp. that's a big disadvantage imho.

in short (and hope of correction):
- flashing uImage and rootImage are equivalent to doing opkg update &&
opkg upgrade, but flashing rewrites the whole fs, so everything modified
is lost
- uBoot can only be flashed