Which Distro?

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Wed Jul 16 15:14:51 CEST 2008

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 00:14:49 -0700 Dirk Bergstrom <openmoko at otisbean.com>
babbled:

> Vijay Vaidyanathan wrote:
> > I'm trying to make a decision on whether to drop in a new distribution to
> > replace the 2007.2 that came preinstalled on my FR.
>
> Me too.
>
> > Is there an "official" distribution that is blessed and "supported" by
> > "OpenMoko - The Company" and is most future-proof.
>
> AFAIK, the answer is "Not yet, but many people are working very hard to
> get to a better answer."
>
> > 1. Why has OpenMoko (The Company) chosen not to support one definitive
> > distribution as its official one? I'd like to understand the logic behind
> > it. What are end-users (i.e. those who will surely have no desire to flash a
> > new distro) expected to be eventually using?
>
> There has been a lot of (sometimes bitter) discussion about this.
>
> > 2. Which distro are you currently using?
>
> I'm using whatever came on the phone.  I did 'opkg update && opkg
> upgrade' the day after I got the phone.  I've made a few changes based
> on the wiki, or stuff I read in emails.  The one that made the biggest
> difference was installing the matchbox keyboard, as built by Arne.  I
> don't really plan on doing a whole lot more for the next couple weeks.
>
>  > and why?
>
> Several reasons:
>
> *) I expect that something better will be along shortly.  I think having
> real hardware in people's hands constitutes a critical mass, and we'll
> start seeing a clear(er) direction.
>
> *) I'm completely swamped with work right now, and then I'm going to be
> traveling for ten days (including going to OSCON).  I might have some
> time to play with the phone while I'm away, but not much.
>
> *) I'm hoping that the FSO framework will make some good progress.  That
> seems (to me) like the right way to go.  I can wrap my head around a
> dbus based world, and more importantly, I can code to it in python.
>
> *) I'm waiting for some of the dust to settle in the GTK / Enlightenment
> / Qt fracas.  I only want to learn one UI toolkit.

all are included. learn the one u like most - that solves the problem u want to
solve best! stop thinking that we will only ver ship and support 1 widget set
and then u have to learn that. you will be waiting a very long time. with FSO
above you STILL will need to make a choice. back-end system functions are
stuffed behind a dbus api. front end (widget set, toolkits whatever) is STILL
your problem.