AW: RE: unable to start up freerunner after batterie was full down

Michael Shiloh michael at openmoko.org
Wed Jul 16 18:45:14 CEST 2008

Joerg Reisenweber wrote:

> Jumpstart the battery is very unlikely to help you out.

Joerg, can you explain this further?

I've actually had excellent luck jump-starting the battery. I set my
adjustable power supply at about 4.5V and I connect it directly to the
battery terminals for just a second, then measure the voltage on the
battery. If the battery voltage is still zero, I repeat. Usually after a
few "shocks" the battery comes out of its internal under-voltage protection.

I understand that GTA01 batteries have no hysteresis and need just one
"shock" (in fact Werner said "one electron" I think) to come out of
under-voltage protection. I understand that GTA02 batteries have
hysteresis and require more coulombs injected before they will recover.

Please explain, as I am writing this all up and want to explain it properly.

Michael