wifi

Stephen Shelton stephen at stephenashelton.com
Wed Jul 16 20:07:57 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 07:36:29PM +0200, Christophe Badoit wrote:
> For WEP, I'm currently connecting with :
>
> ifconfig eth0 up
> iwconfig eth0 essid any
> iwconfig eth0 key 'mykey'
> iwconfig eth0 essid 'myssid'
> ifup eth0
>
> Something strange, I am unable to set the key (iwconfig key) if the
> essid is not "any".
>
> I began patching wifi-radar (a wifi python/gtk app) for the FR, if I've
> got enough time, I'll try to release it.
>
> - --
> Christophe Badoit

I was able to connect to my WEP network doing the above. Thanks for the
pointer... that should get me started!

I'd rather see wicd used as a gui; my experience with wifi-radar has been just
awful. The UI locks up frequently, is it even using any multi threading? Wicd
has worked very nicely for me, and seems a bit more configurable.

I'd really like to see someone who knows what they are talking about update that
wiki page; I'm sure that's a sore spot for quite a few new openmoko users...

--
Stephen Shelton
stephen at stephenashelton.com
http://www.stephenashelton.com