Reason for GPS problems found!

Torfinn Ingolfsen tingox at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 02:50:23 CEST 2008

Hello,

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 7:12 PM, BlueStar88 <BlueStar88 at xenobite.eu> wrote:
> Almost
> all (very rough assumption) GTA02-people are having this issue now, even
> GTA01-users are coming out with confirmations, so why it was not detected
> (nor digged deeper) by personal full range use before mass production?

Being the owner of both a 1973 (GTA01) and a FreeRunner (GTA02) I can
tell you my experience:
the 1973 was my first GPS device ever, so I didn't have anything to
compare with. After getting the necessary software on the phone (gllin
etc.) and configured correctly, the GPS was working correctly, getting
TTFF in a few minutes.
So there was no problem with the 1973 to report.

> Before someone suggests: I don't like the 'fallback' idea of using an
> external antenna, since it is very unhandy for bike and walk usage.

Nobody wants an external antenna for a permanent solution, and I guess
nobody suggested that either. They only suggested the external antenna
as part of trying to figure out the problem.

> My current thoughts are two sided. On one side I don't like to hurt the
> really great (!) project by returning the hardware. On the other side I
> fear, that this issue cannot be fixed to have the initially expected
> behavior.

It seems to me like many (ok, some) people on this list are fearful
people. People, why are you fearing so much?
Are we not pioneers of the open source mobile phone revolution?

Sure, the sky could fall on our heads tomorrow, but pioneers have no
time or that way of thinking.

Pioneers are smart and positive people - anything is possible.
--
Regards,
Torfinn Ingolfsen