Reason for GPS problems found!

Jay Vaughan jayv at synth.net
Thu Jul 17 10:00:50 CEST 2008

> I haven't seen a GPS device yet, including TomTom and
> Garmin devices, that is completely free of defects during this stage
> of
> operation.

My Becker device has no problems whatsoever reading maps while
maintaining a very tight fix, and I've driven all over Austria and
never noticed such an issue.

> (TomTom "jumps" a few miles ahead or behind, then flies back
> to the proper position. The Garmin device I used "froze" in place
> for a
> few seconds before zooming ahead)

Just because 'other' devices may also have design defects with
software workarounds doesn't mean much, imho.  We're not coding for
TomTom or Garmin, we're coding for OpenMoko.  Non-sequitur.

> You probably won't be able to watch videos from the SD card while
> using
> the GPS, but you will be able to use the SD card after the kernel is
> patched to switch off when not being accessed.

If its a suitable workaround or not can only be judged by actual
application, not discussion.  The efficacy of this solution to poor
hardware design can only be judged when the patch makes it into the
mainstream, and when users - and developers - whiny or otherwise -
push the fix into action and actually see the results.  Your point
that we may not even notice the issue is taken; it remains to be seen.

> If this kind of openness disturbs you, you might feel more comfortable
> with a legacy system like the iPhone 3G.

.. or some other open-source cell phone or similarly configured open-
source, Linux-based devices.  Its not like OpenMoko are the only ones
who are making a lot of hype about the open nature of the project, and
its also true that other devices being developed in an open fashion
have better and worse aspects in terms of hardware design ..
testing .. and the general snarkiness of their communities.

;
--
Jay Vaughan