Which Distro?

Jay Vaughan jayv at synth.net
Thu Jul 17 11:55:55 CEST 2008

> i repeat... why ONE? why does everyone think we HAVE to support just
> ONE? why?

Because developers want to have a stable distro to target against, and
that means knowing whats in the distro already so that packages can be
delivered reliably that do not have massive dependencies.

> does your desktop linux distro ONLY run gtk apps? you can't use kde
> or qt apps?

This isn't clearly understood, I think.  One thing we really have to
understand, clearly (us 3rd-party developers), is that we can build
packages that will install - and run - for each of these distros.

Say I have an app that I want to sell to 100 OpenMoko users.  Can I
just make an .ipk that will install on all of those machines, if some
of them are running FSO, some ASU, some 2007.2?  This has the
potential - whether perceived or real or not - to be a support
nightmare for 3rd-party developers, unless they understand that its
possible to target all 3 distro's and support them easily enough.

;
--
Jay Vaughan