GPS problems, summary

Edward A. Falk falk at efalk.org
Thu Jul 17 18:38:17 CEST 2008

> Maybe when just running the GPS application and there's no fix some of the important data from the SD can be put in the RAM (just in case a call comes or any other things like maps etc.) then when the fix is there the RAM can drop some of the unneeded stuff :)

I don't know the internals of the Linux memory card stack, but would it
be possible to modify the kernel to turn the power off (or at least the
clock) to the SD card whenever it's not used, and turn it on only for an
instant when it needs to be read or written?  Would the GPS be happy
with this?

I think this is a solution that needs to be implemented *anyway*, in the
interest of battery life.  Fixing the GPS problem would just be a happy
benefit.