Wiki editors. Citation needed?

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Thu Jul 17 22:03:55 CEST 2008

On 17 Jul 2008, at 08:24, BrendaWang wrote:
> 3. I would like to put the Youtube extension , then we can see the
> video
> on wiki. I would like to know if this useful ? Personal opinion , I
> like
> to have this.

I'm unclear why an extension is needed - can't YouTube videos simply
be embedded using HTML? - and don't see *massive* benefits to YouTube
videos on the wiki.

But I don't see any disadvantages to having YouTube videos on the
wiki, either. Go for it.

> I plan to put the rating function on wiki. Perhape it can help many
> people who visit wiki , know how other people think this page is
> useful
> or not.
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:JSKitRating

This is a great idea!

Also:

Does the current wiki software allow for templates, like Wikipedia?
Sorry if this is obvious - perhaps the Openmoko wiki uses exactly the
same software as Wikipedia?

For instance, sentences in many Wikipedia articles are marked with
the words "citation needed" - I see from a little searching that this
superscript is added when someone edits the page to include the tag
{{cn}} or {{fact}}. Presumably there is a page automatically
generated somewhere (I can't immediately find this) which shows all
pages using that tag and this one can easily see all pages requiring
fact-checking.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Fact

I feel that a similar feature would be useful for the Openmoko wiki -
it should probably display "fact check?" rather than "citation
needed" and new users should be encouraged to mark any sections they
are unsure of or any steps in the HOWTOs that don't work when they
follow them.

Likewise I think there should be a template for software entries
which indicates which firmware images - ASU, 2007.2 &c - the page
applies to. Just as the Wikipedia entry for the Lotus Elise has an
inset which states it to mid-engined and rear-wheel drive, each
software page should say whether the article is *about* one of the
core firmwares, whether it is steps that can be applied to firmwares
FSO & ASU (but not to 2007.2, because that one is incompatible with,
say, gpsd) or whether it's software that can be *installed* on the
FSO & ASU images (but is preinstalled on 2007.2).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_Elise

Perhaps I'm horribly confused, but if my horrible confusion over the
different images at least has the correct basis then this would be
very beneficial to users.

Stroller.