Ears and FR

AVee openmoko-comunity at avee.org
Fri Jul 18 00:19:51 CEST 2008

On Friday 18 July 2008 00:05, Hans L wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 4:31 PM, AVee <openmoko-comunity at avee.org> wrote:
> > That should be fairly doable if I understand the accelerometer stuff
> > correctly. During a call the phone should be unlocked when its horizontal
> > or vertical. Any other angle probably means your holding it against your
> > ear...
>
> I don't think it will be that simple.  If I pick up my cellphone and
> hold it in a natural position in front of me(as if i were about to
> press a button to hang up), it is neither completely vertical nor
> horizontal.  Making assumptions about orientation of a phone when held
> against someone's ear, versus how they hold it in their hands might
> not work well in all cases.

I do think it might just work well enough if the accelerometers provide
sufficient data. Additionally it could be adapted to you personal habbits.
The movement you make when you take the phone away from your ear to hangup is
probably pretty much the same every time, sufficiently smart software could
learn to recognize it.
But it should definately provide a fallback unlock (aux button, screen
gesture, whatever) and it probably should be biased towards locking, at least
during a phone call to prevent you from accidentally hanging up.

AVee

--
He who laughs, lasts.