GPS, VMWare and question about bluetooth headset

Johan Badenhorst ezuall at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 09:10:33 CEST 2008

Hi there,

First off I just want to say thanks to the guys who figured out the SD card
effect on GPS.  Tested this and TTFF was 72 seconds while walking to work
this morning (there aren't enough hours in the day, so some things need to
happen in transit).

I only got the physical device yesterday, and was able to setup the USB and
get USB networking going in a Ubuntu VMWare Image.  This worked well, except
for the fact that I lost the USB connection when Windows power saving kicked
in, so keep that in mind if you are going to use VMWare to run opkg etc.
Note that I haven't tried flashing using this method yet, I want to see that
it is stable enough first.

I am really determined to use the Freerunner as my phone for everyday use.
I believe that this is the only way to make sure that the phone is usable
and that application interfaces are practical.  At the moment that is a bit
tricky because of the echo and interference when making phone calls, but I
believe that these issues aren't insurmountable.  The reason I got an open
phone is because when issues like these creep up I have the option of
getting in there and trying to sort it out myself.

It is with that in mind that I will be installing XOScope to do some tests
of my own.

Questions:

1.  In ticket 1267 the following statement is made:

*"With a few mixer tweaks it is possible to send a 1 kHz PCM tone out
through the call speaker"*

Can someone ellaborate on what these tweaks are?

2.  a)  A bluetooth headset is mentioned as a possible workaround, has
anyone tested this,
     b)  does it get rid of the echo as well as the interference
     c)  and is there a BT headset that anyone recommends if I am going to
test this myself?

Rock on developers!