Funny thing happened on the way to making a call...

Gary Oliver go at L5.org
Fri Jul 18 23:29:33 CEST 2008

Using the latest  (as of 7/18) release version, I tried to enter and
address book entry for my other phone.  Was a bit difficult, but I
thought I had succeeded.  After getting it entered, I tried to dial
using that entry.

What happened, instead, was that it used one of the SIM card addresses
for "411" and dialed IT instead.  The call log, however, showed a
completely BLANK phone number.

Sure am glad I didn't have a 911 in the SIM card...

I'm hoping to get back to looking at the source code soon, but I'm still
trying to the the whole thing to compile without errors (Using
MokoMakefile.)  Makes it mostly through (after about 10 hours) but stops
about 4200 of 4500 (approximately.)  I scrupulously checked to make sure
I've done all of the steps used for "setting up" from the Wiki.  How
reliably has the source tree been as for being in a "compilable" state
throughout?  I remember back with OE on the Zaurus days, it seemed that
about 9 out of 10 days I tried  it, something trivial was broken.  Stuff
checked in that didn't compile or dependencies that didn't get updated.

Still, things are progressing nicely.  This will be a awesome device
when the software reaches maturity.  My neice has stolen my second FR so
she can show her friends a phone that "noone else can get."  She's
suffering through some of the warts and thorns at the moment, but she is
patient (at least reasonably patient for a 15 year old...)

I wish I could contribute more (I'm planning to do a couple of python
applets that will temporarily allow me to do some Wifi and GPRS setups
until the 'real' thing comes down the pike.  I'll post a link when they
are ready.)

-Gary