Influence of WiFi on GPS readings (200m error)

Yaroslav Halchenko site-openmoko.org at onerussian.com
Mon Jul 21 08:22:08 CEST 2008

Hi All,

Finally I got to play with FR. Flushed todays (0721) dev image and kernel.
Running TangoGPS. While WiFi is on (WEP encrypted. wpa_supplicant
powered ;)) I am having location error (never hit the right spot) around
200-400m with reported speed from 0.5 to 20 km/h (while I am siting
steadily in 1 place).

When I turn WiFi Off (just on my FR, without touching access point or a
laptop from which I am writing) -- location moves to the right spot with
a bias of 10m or so.

Therefore, the question: is that expected? ie that we can't rely on GPS
readings while WiFi is on?  Or from the other side: what is
'documented' precision in GPS readings while WiFi is enabled (and not
actually very actively used, if used at all  since I guess TangoGPS
already had those tiles from OSM downloaded).

Or may be it is just my FR which behaves that way? Did anyone observe
any similar behavior?

--
                                  .-.
                   Linux User    ^^-^^    [175555]