problem booting to NOR?

Al Johnson openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk
Mon Jul 21 11:31:56 CEST 2008

On Monday 21 July 2008, Steve Leung wrote:
> Hi..  I hope someone can point out what I'm doing wrong.
>
> I want to boot into my Freerunner's NOR to try flashing different
> images, but I can't get it to work.  I've followed what's on the wiki,
> and all I get is a brief pop or crackle from the speaker, and then about
> 6 seconds later the red LED flashes very briefly.  The screen does not
> light up.
>
> I've tried all combinations of:
>
> - USB connected/disconnected
> - holding AUX/POWER for short and long periods of time
> - releasing AUX or POWER first
> - with/without SIM card installed
>
> I'm assuming there should be some visual confirmation that I've booted
> into NOR - if I plug in the USB cable after following the documented
> process, the device boots normally.
>
> I can get into NAND no problem, and the POWER and AUX buttons both work
> fine during normal use.
>
> Does this happen to anyone else?  Does this indicate some kind of
> problem with the phone?  Would a debug board help fix this?

I remember taking several tries to get it going initially, but now I can't
work out why I had trouble.

Press Aux and hold
Press Power and hold
Hear tick from speaker
See red light flash on Aux
See uBoot screen
Release buttons

Timing doesn't appear to be much of an issue so long as the Aux button is down
when the power button is pressed. From pressing Power to uBoot screen is
between 1 and 2 seconds.