Proper mixer settings for music playback, or hardware fixes?

Dylan Reilly dreilly at atariland.net
Mon Jul 21 18:31:44 CEST 2008

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 02:50:18PM +0100, Al Johnson wrote:

> I noticed the high-pass, but came to acceptable results using
> alsamixer's bass-boost options. My main concern is with the
> distortion in the mids to highs. As far as I understand, the
> above mentioned postings only cover the high-pass problem.
> But I certainly don't understand all the technical stuff.
>
> Does anyone else experience distortion?

I have also noticed some heinous distortion in the mid to high range
through the media player in the latest 2007.02 builds. However, it is
not present under Qtopia. I experimented mixing and matching kernels
between the distributionsw and 2007.02 + Qtopia kernel still has the
distortion.

I did some more poking around (under 2007.02) and it seems the issue
is related to pulse audio. Using madplay to play straight to /dev/dsp
produces no distortion but madplay through pulse audio does. I don't
know much about pulse audio; does anyone have any recommendations for
a work-around?

--
Dylan Maxwell Reilly