Special Letters?

Gora Mohanty gora at sarai.net
Mon Jul 21 21:53:44 CEST 2008

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 05:31:48 +1000
Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) <raster at openmoko.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 00:48:43 +0530 Gora Mohanty <gora at sarai.net> babbled:
[...]
> > This sounds great. What is the level of OpenType support? Are complex text
> > layout (CTL) languages like Indian languages, and Thai supported? Is this
> > true of just the FreeRunner, or also of the Neo 1973?
>
> i cant speak for gtk and qt - for EFL, it uses freetype and fontconfig
> (optional). it treats text as a string going from left to right with chars that
> advance to the right.
[...]

Ah, in that case it probably will not work for CTL languages, as they
need various operations like glyph reordering, substitution, etc.
On normal computers, GTK uses Pango to handle such scripts, but my
guess is that Pango will be too heavy for the current hardware.

I will have to try all this out once I get my (currently broken) Moko
reflashed.

Regards,
Gora