Reason for GPS problems found! / more patches

Mikko Rauhala mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi
Tue Jul 22 12:38:19 CEST 2008

On ti, 2008-07-22 at 11:43 +0800, Simon Matthews wrote:
> Surely the hardware and software 'fixes' can only be seen as a total fix
> if they make the SN (signal to noise ratio) of the GPS the same as if
> the SD card is not present.

FWIW and IMAO, this definition of a "total fix" is impractical almost to
the point of uselessness. There will always be some noise in a tightly
packed product incorporating many high frequency sources. The question
is if the noise is significant (as it seems to have originally been).

Referring back a bit, it _is_ nice to hear though that the clock drive
tuning can improve the situation noticably even with SD clock on, should
probably give that a try myself one of these days. (Haven't tested GPS
in a while now, but it _would_ be nice not to have to send my unit in
for service :)

Again, kudos to the team for a job well done on all fronts, sw and hw,
with regard to this issue.

--
Mikko Rauhala <mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi>
University of Helsinki