Ruleby was: Rules based policy engine

Tilman Baumann tilman at baumann.name
Tue Jul 22 15:13:54 CEST 2008

Scott wrote:
> I just found this inference engine.
>
> http://ruleby.org/wiki/Ruleby
>
> I working on a Rails project think Ruby is a great language to work
> with.  And Ruby is pretty small..

A bit too many layers there for my taste. :)
A domain specific rules language implemented in ruby embedded in c?
The ruby layer does not seem to be thin enough to justify that.
(ok, writing rules in ruby is kind cool. As would any other real
language be. Like lightweights like lua or certain lisp-ish languages.
Even javascript would not be bad.)

Btw. I like the idea of a rules language. But why not something simple
and stupid like for example SIEVE filters in cyrus imap.
That's a hand full of yacc and lex magic and some stupid engine code.
I mean, what we can match is pretty much defined by the fact that we
match numbers and SMS.
A hand full of logic expressions on pre defined attributes should be enough.
My email filter is not smarter too, but email a lot more complicated.
And it works well.

If someone puts the effort in to something like Prolog or Ruleby i will
not argue. But it seems a bit overkill to me.