Terminal for ASU

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Tue Jul 22 00:31:40 CEST 2008

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 23:21:22 +0100 Al Johnson <openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk>
babbled:

> On Monday 21 July 2008, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> > On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 22:32:47 +0100 Al Johnson
> > <openmoko at mazikeen.demon.co.uk>
> >
> > babbled:
> > >
> > > The designers' idea is great, but in practise I suspect you're right.
> > > Please can we at least have a manual override as a configure option, even
> > > if it's not on by default?
> >
> > sorry. "not in the design". it's not specified as a config option. i'm only
> > doing what's in the spec as there is much unhappiness if i do otherwise. if
> > you REALLY want the button you will have to hack the theme to put it back
> > in (as its just a theme element that emits a signal when pressed).
>
> GRR...defective by design. You've made a fair summary of my feelings on
> automated keyboards too. So what does the spec say about when there's another
> input device like a bluetooth or USB keyboard?

it says nothing... not specified as a design parameter. :) (another good reason
for a manual overried until auto-detection of a bt/usb keyboard is flawless.
even with a bt keyboard - it may be on, in your pocket or bag, but you may not
want to use it.. thus want a manual "give me a virtual keyboard anyway - bt
keyboard there or not". :)

i'm with you on this and i understand why an automatic keyboard is goo d(no
need to always manually bring it up when you'd want it anyway), but manual
control is going to be needed for a long time to come as it may never always
automatically do it right for you... :)