Terminal for ASU

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Tue Jul 22 15:04:59 CEST 2008

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 02:39:01 +0100 JW <jameswillmer at googlemail.com> babbled:

> > Where are the design documents which say "no keyboard toggle button
> > should be included", please? If one wishes to contribute code or
> > patches to ASU then I guess it's necessary to know this, or one will
> > find patches rejected because they don't meet this design specification?
> >

> surely this is a prime candidate for a motion detection / gesture detection
> to bring up the keyboard
>
> easy - no extra button needed
>
> geeks who enable their gesture of choice get the keyboard when they want it
>
> carsten can you build in the sleeping gesture as you go?

what gesture, where? how? how ill this be able to not conflict with operation
of other apps? i am not so hot on gestures - especially ones that use up the
"whole screen" or parts o the screen where apps run - as now gestures fight for
usability with apps themselves. there is no coordination. example:

if the gesture was "slide up the screen from bottom to top" - how is this
gesture different from me dragging my finger to scroll a list in the application
on my screen? how do i make sure only ONE of these happens (the keyboard pops up
OR the scroll happens) and not both?

IMHO - gestures are black magic box filled with cans of worms. i'd rather avoid
them unless you can guarantee the flow of the user action and
where it will go. it's not so simple.

either way - there WAS a button.. it was in the top-left corner of the screen
that was blank and unused anyway. it used up no extra screen space and was
obvious to hit. it was by far the best option available so far. if you hack the
illum theme (edje_decc illme.edj to decompile - edit the .edc and run build.sh
to rebuild... copy it back in place). you can add the button back - if you can
find it.