Terminal for ASU

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Wed Jul 23 15:16:22 CEST 2008

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 04:32:34 +0100 Stroller <stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk>
babbled:

> On 22 Jul 2008, at 14:36, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
> >> Sorry to trouble you, but who are these designers, please?
> >
> > i'll let them speak up if they wish to be part of a debate on this.
> > it's up to
> > them.
>
> I'd be grateful if someone @openmoko could be a bit transparent about
> this.
>
> > ... i have technical reasons why i think the
> > move to remove any such manual control is a bad thing and have made
> > them clear
> > often enough.
>
> This is why openness would be beneficial to the community.
>
> After all the efforts that Openmoko have made over being open, I am
> just amazed that design decisions that affect everyone are being made
> in secret.
>
> >> I think  many of us would like to contribute to the ASU, seeing as
> >> how it's the future of Openmoko, so this would appear to be a
> >> limitation upon community contributions.
> >
> > as such we are paid by openmoko to do what  we are told to do by
> > the design
> > department and that is what we then do. you in the community can go
> > and do your
> > own themes and patches and packages and do what u want.
>
> Openmoko promotes itself as an "open" company soliciting
> contributions from community developers.
>
> That's great!
>
> But if that means I can only develop apps that run ON the phone - or
> if I want to code for core apps then I need to fork - it would be
> great if they could say so.
>
> Sorry to use the alarmist word "fork" here, I don't mean it that way.
>
> But right now it appears difficult to contribute changes to the ASU
> window manager (if I'm understanding correctly that that is the
> component which is missing a manual keyboard toggle button). It is
> pointless me doing so if I have to maintain this patch all on my own
> and no-one else is going to benefit. If I want to add a manual
> keyboard toggle button then that's exactly the scenario - if other
> people want to use it I effectively have to "fork" the code,
> maintaining a whole package or firmware image, simply so people can
> download it from my website.

it was in fact said that "the community can create their own packages" - so as
such you are expected to fork - create modified packages with different config.
as such only maybe 1% of the config e/illume has is actually accessible (in a
gui) in a sane usable way. can't change wallpaper, can't choose a new theme,
can't modify sizes of things, cache sizes, framerates.... this is a design
decision, and thus forces you to fork.

> >> Where are the design documents which say "no keyboard toggle button
> >> should be included", please? If one wishes to contribute code or
> >> patches to ASU then I guess it's necessary to know this, or one will
> >> find patches rejected because they don't meet this design
> >> specification?
> >
> > well design documents are pretty thin on the ground. i was told so in
> > email/irc directly to do this. i had a manual button there
> > originally and was
> > explicitly told to remove it.
>
> Right. So right now there's no point in members of the community
> trying to contribute patches to core features or functionality, lest
> these patches get declined because the designers don't happen to like
> them. Even worse is the prospect of you saying "great! this is really
> useful, I'll add it to git" and then the community member feeling
> disappointed (pissed off) later when you're told to remove it.

correct. if you have problems with this - i am not the guy to talk to as it has
been made clear that i am just a programmer here.

> IMO it's crazy for you (the senior developer to ASU? you're surely
> the most active?) to have his hands tied by these shadowy "designers"
> who can interfere apparently on a whim. Especially when they're
> coming up with crazy decisions that are technically poor!!

welcome to openmoko. i get paid to program. i am not a designer (as i have been
told) and thus am not qualified to make decisions there (so i have been
informed). i am paid to program. so that is what i will do.

> They asked you to take out a simple button, in favour of a whole
> protocol, when no protocol currently exists? Aside from the points
> you make about porting existing (Gnome, KDE, whatever) applications
> to ASU, what's the hard in keeping the button until this protocol is
> later developed?
>
> Please would the "designers" speak up so we can flame them directly.
>
> Presently I think you're misnaming these individuals (this
> individual?). A design document is required for a design, so that
> everyone can see the rationale for decisions. Everything that's
> implemented should have a reason (stated in the design document), and
> that a button might "disturb the design and/or confuse users" is not
> a rational reason for having broken apps which can't use a bloomin'
> keyboard. Making ad-hoc demands for change after the fact is not
> "designing" it is *meddling*.

i'm keeping out of it. if design wishes to be part of the community, they can.
if not - they can stay silent. up to them.