HTML messages to mailing lists. Problem upgrading ncurses

Stroller stroller at stellar.eclipse.co.uk
Thu Jul 24 02:44:45 CEST 2008

On 24 Jul 2008, at 01:09, Dale Schumacher wrote:

>> Also, could you possibly post to the list in plain text, not HTML?
>
> Sure, I could.  I thought it would be more clear to post the
> transcript in fixed font.  Doesn't it come through as multi-part-
> alternative anyway, so you should have a plain-text version too?
> It seems the richer markup is often useful.

The fixed-width font you chose ("courier new,monospace"?) is
honoured, but comes up as greyish on my mail client (Apple's Mail)
and is difficult to read.

Generally speaking, posting in plain text allows me to view messages
on my computer as I wish. HTML messages allow you to set a font that
is unreadable in my machine, so I have to click extra buttons or
keyboard shortcuts in order to make them viewable. This is usually
more obvious when people set a font SIZE which is perfect on their PC
but too small on my monitor.

I would _love_ a mail standard which allows setting bold, underline,
italics and fixed-font without all the other rubbish that HTML email
introduces. This would allow _you_ to set fixed-font and allow _me_
to choose whether I wish to display it in courier, lucidia console or
whatever (and presumably at full blackness rather than greyish).
Unfortunately this would require co-operation from all the authors of
email clients, so it's never likely to happen.

I don't really mind Amazon's HTML emails because they clearly have
usability or web-design experts who spend hours on choosing fonts or
how they specify them in their messages. In any case messages from
Amazon, and most other online stores are always readable, so I don't
block incoming HTML. But for mailing lists, plain-text is always safe
and "right".

Stroller.