Public build host (proposal)

Andreas Dalsgaard andreas.dalsgaard at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 09:19:24 CEST 2008

2008/7/24 Christ van Willegen <cvwillegen at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 2:16 AM, Marek Lindner <marek at openmoko.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>>> since it seems to be extremely difficult to build software for the
>>> OpenMoko on my home machine, perhaps it would be usefull if someone
>>> (within OpenMoko?) would set up a globally reachable build host with
>>> an openembedded and toolchain environment on it.
>>
>> could you describe what kind of problems you experience ? The only way to
>> improve the situation is by naming the issues at hand.  :-)
>
> I tried to tell you a few times, but I'll rephrase.
>
> I have an iMac G5, rev C (with iSight built-in). That is a PowerPC64
> architecture.
>
> - There is no native Mokomakefile support for this machine
> - I tried running VirtualPC to emulate an i386 processor so that I
> could install Ubuntu. This works, but is _terribly_ slow. Also,
> getting Ubuntu 8 on it is something I didn't try. But, building
> Mokomakefile took days to get to step 1500.

Instead of using the mokomakefile you could try this package I've made
for Ubuntu(see http://andreasdalsgaard.blogspot.com/2008/07/openmoko-development-in-5-minutes.html).
The package contain the toolchain and some common libs, which makes it
quite easy to get started. Furthermore the opkg-sdk is installed,
which means it is pretty easy to add missing packages to the
toolchain.