Public build host (proposal)

Brian C brianwc at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Jul 24 18:16:42 CEST 2008

Marek Lindner wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> since it seems to be extremely difficult to build software for the
>> OpenMoko on my home machine, perhaps it would be usefull if someone
>> (within OpenMoko?) would set up a globally reachable build host with
>> an openembedded and toolchain environment on it.
>
> could you describe what kind of problems you experience ? The only way to
> improve the situation is by naming the issues at hand.  :-)
>
> Marek

I have yet to get a single application to build on my Ubuntu machine.
Everything I've tried ends up missing some library or other and the
instructions for adding libraries not in the toolchain are totally
unclear to me.  (Also, it seems like some extremely basic libraries are
not in the toolchain, so that makes no sense to me either.)  Finally,
there was discussion on this list, in another thread, I think, that much
of the toolchain's .la files still refer to gta01 or neo1973 directories
and that this causes a lot of problems.  I'm not sure if that's what is
causing my issues or something else, but I'll echo what another list
member said: One would think that a working toolchain would be a priority.

Brian