Suggestion: default /etc/resolv.conf

ian douglas ian.douglas at iandouglas.com
Thu Jul 24 19:04:10 CEST 2008

Joe Pfeiffer wrote:
> Much better to get resolv.conf, along with IP address, from DHCP.

Typically, I'd agree -- except the Freerunner doesn't get its IP from
DHCP for the USB port, which is where pretty much all of the DNS
questions come from to the list (until GRPS starts working reliably...)

Personally I don't think there's any harm in having an open/public DNS
server pair in the default out-of-the-box /etc/resolv.conf file. In
fact, I bundled a whole bunch of configuration files together for wifi,
dns, etc. for the guys who were part of the Los Angeles group -- first
thing I did for most of them was get that tarball unpacked on their
Freerunners. Saved them all some grief.

-id