Is there some way to turn the predictive dictionary off?

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Thu Jul 24 23:58:15 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jul 24, 2008 at 10:10:57PM +0100, Michael Sheldon wrote:
> Ken Restivo wrote:
> > The dictionary prediction is driving me crazy.
> >
> > I'm trying to type "ls", and the damned dictionary is trying to be "smart", and is changing it to "is".
> >
> > So I'm sitting here in a terminal, typing "ls", and "is" is all I can get.
> >
> > Also, I lost track of where the "Full-QWERTY" keyboard layout was for ASU, and how to find/enable/create it.
> >
> > Sorry for being such a pain, but the terminal will be one of the main apps I use on this thing, so I'm finding these.
>
>   I assume by the predictive dictionary you're using the built-in qtopia
> keyboard. You can get it to not be predictive by holding a key until the
> zoom dialog pops up (a little gray circle showing which key you have
> pressed). And you can get at other keyboard buttons (symbols, numbers,
> etc.) by sliding your finger upwards or downwards.
>
>   By the "Full-QWERTY" keyboard I think you mean the Illume keyboard
> (which was what popped up until recently), but that's now disabled (in
> the Illume code) in favour of the qtopia keyboard. But you should be
> able to get virtually all the same keys you had available with that with
> the qtopia keyboard (there are a small number missing, like the cursor
> keys), you just have to know about the need to slide upwards to reveal
> the other layouts.

OK, I'm sorry, I missed that.

I really liked that Illume keyboard :-( It was perfect.

I didn't know that it went away.

So where do I edit the keymaps for the new-default, QPE keyboard, so that I can create a full-QWERTY layout just like the Illume one?

Also, bringing up the "zoom" doesn't make the dictionary go away. It's still changing my "ls" to "is".

-ken