Is there some way to turn the predictive dictionary off?

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Fri Jul 25 04:27:02 CEST 2008

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 19:01:47 -0700 Ken Restivo <ken at restivo.org> babbled:

> > directly in. the idea is that full-qwerty is for terminal junkies or those
> > with a stylus and who
>                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> 								  that would
> be me.

many more than just you... if my observation is not totally off (i actually
read/listen to a lot more than i reply to, so i hope in many ways to just
absorb what people want... and make mental notes of it.). i can definitely see
why you want it (note - even if you want something - i might not always
agree... but i will always discuss it as it may be that you THINK you want X
but in reality you really want Y, and have just arrived at the wrong
conclusion of wanting X - and if Y were implemented it'd give you the
functionality of X... but as i said - i'll always make it clear that i'm trying
to give you what you want... just trying to give it to you in a way that is
better :)

> And, probably, I'd guess a lot of people who would shell out twice the price
> of an iPhone, just because it runs Linux, would also be very, very likely to
> be a terminal junkie.

no surprise here.. though the iphone is not 1/2 the price. last i checked its
about 2-3 times the price... if you buy it unlocked - which is comparing apples
to apples... (no pun intended). remember at that "1/2" price tag you are paying
the iphone off over 2 years of contract - and the actual price is much more. :)

> > dictionary to use (as i have read here
> > - people seem to want to be able to select language for dictionary and
> > layouts - often separately).
>
> Sounds great.

as i said... i'm doing my own thing anyway... but it wont be in ASU - it'll be
some fork or hidden code features u'll need to go hacking at.

> > regular english (or german, french etc.), and still maintain a small
> > footprint.
>
> Very nice feature! Would help a lot, kind of like bash completion. Keystrokes
> on a touchscreen could really benefit from this.

hmm. right now the dictionary code doesnt know completion - it just does
matching. but fuzzy matching - or in theory. that means you need to type the
WHOLE word - u cant just complete (doing completion in addition to fuzzy
matching is a lot more expensive lookup-wise so i'm simplifying the expense of
the fuzzy dict matching by not doing completions - i can go into detail why
completions WITH fuzzy matching are not likely to be viable... but if you trust
me - it saves me explaining... :) )

> > qtopia's keyboard layout is hard-coded into the keyboard. no files to go
> > edit.
>
> Auuughhh!!! OK, my phone is once again a brick.
>
> It's funny how it goes from being a great device to being more or less
> useless at least once every two days... this is normal for a product under
> heavy development. But it is also frustrating.

:(

> The hard-coded QPE keyboard that has replaced Illume has no control key. No
> ALT key. No up or down arrows either. And the keyboard layout is hard-coded,
> which seems fatally limiting. How will users who don't speak English use it
> if there are no .kbd files?

indeed it has none of these keys.

> The text-editable .kbd files approach was a *great* idea. As was the "qwerty"
> button (which I was able to bring back thanks to someone posting a file with
> it), and the pop-up for picking different keyboard types, etc... all stuff
> that delighted this user.... and has been summarily removed.

:) thanks :)

> What packages do I need to hack, and how, to bring the Illume keyboard-- the
> one with the configurable .kbd files-- back again? Or, is the QPE keyboard
> going to get this text-editable keyboard layout functionality soon (and, how
> soon)?

illume is what u want top hack.. and its 1 line of code in:

e_mod_win.c

   // FIXME: run kbd app or use internal
#if 0
   //enable for now to test internal kbd
   vkbd_int = e_kbd_int_new(e_module_dir_get(m),
                            e_module_dir_get(m),
                            e_module_dir_get(m));
#endif

see that #if 0... make it a #if 1

:) (it's just waiting for me to actually make this config so of course i leave
little poopie droppings along the way as i get around to things... for now this
is my quick and dirty on/off switch for the internal keyboard).

> > > Also, bringing up the "zoom" doesn't make the dictionary go away. It's
> > > still changing my "ls" to "is".
> >

> Actually I got that to work. If I don't let the prediction even get started,
> and hold down the zoom key from the *first* letter, then the prediction
> doesn't even start up. But once I let it get started, it doesn't seem to want
> to stop, even if I hold the zoom down.

:(