list subscription question

B bburdette at comcast.net
Fri Jul 25 20:35:27 CEST 2008

I recommend using gmane.  Get a newsreader (I use thunderbird, which has
a newsreader built in), and subscribe to the
gmane.comp.handhelds.openmoko.community newsgroup on the news.gmane.org
news server.

In thunderbird the result is I get all the email headers, threaded just
like in my normal email folders, but it only checks for new messages
when I look at the newsgroups.  The emails aren't merged with my normal
mail, so no filtering is needed.  Only the headers are downloaded, so
retrieving the new mails is quick, and I only get the body of the emails
that I click on.  You can't search through the body of emails, but the
online version of the newsgroup is better for that anyway.

In order to post to the list you'll need to still be subscribed, but you
can turn off message sending.  You can do that on the regular openmoko
lists config site.  The first time you post to the list from gmane you
will have to answer a gmane confirmation email.

Hope this helps,

Ben B.